Attractions & Sightseeing

The Kangra Fort

The Kangra Fort is situated at a distance of 20 Kms distance from Dharamsala on the out start of the Kangra Town. From here a long and narrow passage leads up to the top of the Fort through the Ahani and Amiri Darwaza, both attributed to Nawab Alif Khan, the first governor of Kangra under the Moghuls. Some 500 feet from the outer gate the passage turns around at a very sharp angle and passes through the Jahangiri Darwaza. The Jahangiri Darwaza, however, has entirely the appearance of a Mohammedan building and, judging from its name, would seem to have been raised by Jahangir after his conquest of the Fort in 1620 A.D. There is some reason to assume that a white marble slab bearing a Persian inscription, of which two fragments were recovered in 1905 which in all probability was a record of Jahangir 's conquest of the Fort. The Darsani Darwaza, when extant, was flanked by defaced statues of he river-goddess, Ganga and Yamuna, and must date back to a time previous to the Muslim occupation of the Fort. Along the south side of this stood the shrines of Lakshmi Narayana, Sitala, and Ambika Devi which were square chambers profusely decorated with carvings. It is questionable whether they have been rightly designated as temples, as there was no indication that they ever contained any object of worship.

Their ornamentation, however, left no doubt that they were originally intended for religious purpose. Next to the Kangra fort in the old town of Kangra is situated a beautiful Jain temple which was built thirty years ago. Build in traditional Jain architecture it incorporates skillful stone carving of which the exquisite rosette at the centre of the ceiling is especially worth mentioning.

Distance from the resort 65 Kms